disheveled

a disheveled library-gal comes clean

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Crunching numbers

At the library where I work we just recently migrated to a new ILS system. And its a fab system. Really. And patrons have the power to do more now than they did before with the old system. However -- to do these things, like holds from home, renewing materials from home, et cetera, etc., they need their library card number (duh!) and a PIN number. the PIN is the thing. I swear some people actually look crestfallen when I explain the PIN thing. Like, its 4 digits -- get over it! But (and there's always a But) the more I think about it, the more crestfallen I get over the whole PIN shenanigans. Oh you horrible PIN, how I do hate thee!! Let me count the ways!!! Here is the variety of PINs (and login user id's/passwords) I have in my life -- lets see how they add up:

1. OK - there's the blogger account, obviously
2. Bloglines account, not so obvious, but still...
3, 4, 5 - my 3 email accounts, all of which have different usernameloginpasswords
6. the login for my computer at work
7. the login for the ILS system on my computer at work, when I want to do reference type things
8. the login for the ILS system on my computer at work, when I want to do tech services types of things
9. the login for B&T to do the collection dev. stuff
10. forgot -- I have a 4th email, the tech-y one
11. the login for the server to update our webpage
12. the login for the reference pc's at work
13. the login for the public Internet pc's login software
14. the PIN for my own library card
15. the PIN for my mac card
16. the PIN for my mac card when I use the teller-phone system (yes, its different than #15)
17. the login for my amazon account (yes, I buy books too -- I know, I know, I can get them at work!)
18. the login for my expedia account (yes, I can even travel on my salary!)
19. the login for my ofoto account (wait -- they are now kodak easyshare -- is my pin the same?whatever)
20. the login for my other kodak easyshare account that I created because I forgot about the 1st one.
21. the PIN for my cell phone's voice mail
22. the PIN for my regular land line phone's voice mail
23. the PIN for my office voice mail
24. the pin for my live365 account ( love them -- I like 8ball radio the best)

It boggles my mind that just about all 24 of these are different from one another! Why!!?

That's all I can remember right now, but I bet you theres at least like 10 more. I know there's about 5 different passwords on computers at work so we can add/remove/replace/maintain the security on the pcs -- do those count as "mine" since I know what they are, and I need to use them on occasion? Shheesh! It felt good to get them all out though! It's like a mental purging of all these horrible numbers & letters & characters *&! just swirling around in my brain ***

How many do you have? (it's like that commercial, "so, what's in your wallet?")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home