disheveled

a disheveled library-gal comes clean

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

little miss smarty pants

Twice in 2 days I was asked what I do for a living, and both times the response after "I'm a librarian" was "So you must know everything!" The first person said it with a smile in his voice, so he and I both knew he was kidding. The second person was dead serious. How do you respond to that? "Yes. Yes, you are correct. I do know just about Everything." Puh-leeze. Give me a break! It's so funny the things people truly believe about librarians. I remember when I left my "big corporate job" to go back to school and start a new career for myself -- my jackass of a boss laughed in my face and asked "why do you need to go to school to sit all day and read?" I visited the old office a few months ago, and that swarmy-Brooks-Brothers-wearin-golf-playin-whiskey-drinkin-H2-drivin-cape-cod-vacationin-stupid-corporate-drone was still there in his burgundy leather office with decoy ducks around him with the same stupid look on his face. Books lined the shelves of his office, with not a one of them with a creased spine. Compared to him, I do know everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home