disheveled

a disheveled library-gal comes clean

Monday, August 01, 2005

Humpty Dumpty

I am on my way to work today, headed toward the highway, on a 2 to 3 lane 55mph road. I say 2 to 3 lanes, because it's 2, then 3, then 2 again. So anyway, there's this older man in a business suit riding a Harley next to me. He's probably around 5o or 60, guessing by his grey beard, but he looks like a cool guy because he's got one of those old fashioned tiny round helmets on, not one of those big-all-visor-types of helmets that look like they're for space travel. Anyway -- everyone is getting ready to either merge and get on the highway, or jam to the left to keep going straight, and we're approaching a traffic light just before the highway entrance. The light turns yellow, so we all are braking, merging, slowing.. getting over to the right, ..and Businesssuit-Harley-Man, who I've now merged behind, FALLS OVER. POW. I stand up on my brakes, my library bag goes flying under the dash, the seatbelt chokes me, and I do a quick scan in the rearview to see if the car behind me will be in my backseat when I next am able to breathe. This all is hapenning in slo-mo btw. Harley-Man's right leg did a shake-stop-shake-stop-shake kinda thing, while his left leg got further and further separted out, and then sure enough he's flying over the right side of the bike and standing next to it, still gripping the front, sort-of. The bike just kinda lays there, and Harley-Man is looking like he's gonna barf. As I take a breath and curse, we are a mere fraction of an inch from one another. A thousand thoughts in that one second. Do I get out and help him? He's not hurt. Did he crap himself or what? And I know better than to go see if he needs my help. First off, the bike is gi-normous, second, there are times when you just know that if you ask a person if they need you, when they've just totally humiliated themselves, the answer will be a curt "no thank you." Why rub salt in his wounds. So I wait, and the traffic behind me finally gets the clue to head left and around us, and then I reverse myself, and go around, while Fallen-Harley-Man rights the bike (after a few awful-to-watch attemps). Yikes. I needed some coffee after that one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home