disheveled

a disheveled library-gal comes clean

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Oh No She Di'int!

Yea Grrl, She Did!

I tell you --Working Mothers are the most hated people in the world. Oh. Excuse Me. "Mothers Who Work OUTSIDE the Home" are the most hated people ... Truly, we get no respect from anyone. Even other working moms can't be consistent in sticking up for one another.

SO - Let me set this up for you. Its the last day of nursery school for my 4 year old son. They have a little "Graduation" ceremony (a celebration of mediocrity, anyone!? Like, even the paste-eater gets a prize..) So I take a day off from work to attend. I have to. Thats what working moms do -- they take off personal days for their kids, sick days for the kids, vacation days,... you get the idea.

Now, being the harried crazy lady that I am, and being that I am persistantly torn between home and work life, I decide to make the most of this Personal Day and schedule my sons birthday party for the same day as the "Graduation." Makes sense. I'm a multitasker.

So we send out invitations, make the arrangements, order the cake, blah blah, and then we wait for the RSVPs to come in. BTW -- I believe ONE other kid in the class of 10 has a mom who "works outside the home." The others, while home, also have nannies, tennis instructors, large SUVs,beach club cabannas.... you get the idea.

THE DAY BEFORE THE PARTY the "sorry we cant make it"s come in. Turns out this "Graduation" is a big photo/video shoot event, and all the grandparents are coming in for it, and then Lunch Dates are following straight after.

So - ONE kid from his school comes to his party. Thank goodness for my high quality neighboors, and their kind hearts, because they all pretty much came. So it was 7 kids total, rather than 16. Saved me some money, I suppose. Thankfully 4 year olds dont notice much.

But heres the kicker - The crux of the matter, and the reason why I am telling you this tale.

We're at "Graduation" and one of the "work Inside the home" moms comes up to my husband and I, and says
"You know, you really should have changed the date of the party to like another day, so we could all go. Why don't you have it on like a Thursday or Friday, at like Sickles Park, at like 3:00, so we can all go? Like, it really was such a bad idea to have the party today. What were you thinking?"

I reply "Well, you see, I can only take so many days off work, and since I already had today off for "Graduation," for me, it was a perfect day for the party."

To which she replies "Well, Chris here (thats my husband) is really the Token Mom of the group, since he does drop off and pick up, so he can just throw the party together by himself!"

Folks, I swear, you could feel the anger in the air. It took every bit of strength for Chris & I to not strangle her and dump her 85 pound body into the Navesink.

2 Comments:

  • At 6/11/2007 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Combining both occasions was a bad idea. You have an older child. Didn't you notice all the grandparents at the other's graduation?

    And the idea of having the birthday party on a weekend, when you wouldn't have to sacrifice a work day, was not a consideration?

     
  • At 6/11/2007 5:27 PM, Blogger sara said…

    Hi Anonymous -

    I suppose I did sound like too much sour grapes. But to tell me the day before the party that you couldn't come was just plain rude. Also, there was plenty of time to celebrate with g-ma&g-pa prior to the party time, and lastly, and most important, to suggest its ok to have the party without me is just terrible manners.

    and to answer your questions - No, my older kid never graduated from the 3 yr old to 4 yr old class,... We combined the last day of school and his party last year and all the moms said "what a great idea," and no, a party on the weekend just doesn't work around here -- the parks, beaches, etc., are just too full.. even the roads are too congested around here on the weekends.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home