disheveled

a disheveled library-gal comes clean

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Consistently inconsistent

My bad - its been awhile. Again. I am consistently inconsistent.

So -- have you ever found yourself having bad thoughts at inopportune moments? Case in point - I'm at an award type of thing for a very serious subject, but the guy in my periphery is picking at scabs behind his ear, inspecting the flakes, and flicking them out from under his fingernail. Truly. How do you handle the gross-out factor, while trying to listen to things that are a.)important b.)quite serious and c.)of a nature that deserves your full attention. My mind wandered. It had to! This man, this person, was pick pick picking at his flaky 80+ year old head, In-specting the shit, and then flicking it in my general vicinity. Ho-boy was I truly and completely in the 'get me the f outta here' stage!

Another one -- And one I am loathe to admit, but I've let it sit for a few years now, so I think I'm ready to share.... I'm at services for Yom Kippur - the most serious and holy day of the entire year. People are somber. The dress code is basic black. The hush factor is huge. In the row behind me, and too my left, sits a kid around 18 years old, with 2 older women, I'm guessing an aunt and a mom. The 2 women are talking - first mistake, and the kid is texting people on his cell phone -- big mistake number two. He click click clicks his texts, and my blood starts to boil. While the 2 yentas keep at it with the horseshit conversation. I am sitting there, in services, trying to concentrate - no- trying to REPENT for my sins, and this jackhole is now TALKING to someone on his cell phone, because I suppose texting them wasnt enough, they now had to hear his whinny voice. You know he picked up this bad behavior from his mother, I mean, its obvious, as THE WOMAN IS STILL TALKING!! People all around us have turned and given them the evil eye, made little shushhing noises, coughed in an "ah-hem" kinda way, and still this family goes on talking! So - I did it. I had to. For the love of all that is holy in this world, I did it. I turned slowly around in my chair, placed my hand on the 18 year olds knee, looked him dead in the eye, and said 'Put the fucking phone down, and shut the hell up,' and then, for good measure, when his mother and aunt did the intake of air gasp, I looked at them both and said 'that's right bitch, you too.' Then I slowly turned back around, found my place in the book, and asked G-d to forgive me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home